Friday, August 24, 2012

Whoa... What Just Happened?!?

So, here I was... this eager, optimistic soon-to-be student of Anatomy and Physiology in pursuit of a changing career.  I couldn't have been more excited about starting school. 

Then suddenly, I got a call from a school asking me to sub for a fifth grade class starting the school year.  This was on a Tuesday before school started.  I wasn't able to start the following day, so my first day was Thursday.  I came totally unprepared since I did not know what to expect.  Well, the room was in musty disarray.  A numbing sense of leery was abound--a silent chaos.  I had two days to prepare for a class of fifth graders.  Two days.  Just two.  The latter was to be orientation.

Those two days flew by like a busy hurricane.  I have been teaching fifth graders as of Monday.  It's now Friday, and I can now say, "I survived."

Take a deep breath.  Relax.  Repeat.  "I survived my first week of teaching."  (Barely.)

Monday was... a learning experience.  :)  In the two days I had to prepare, I really had no time to actually design the room, organize the materials, or plan.  Between the meetings and last minute scraping of materials for a first week survival plan, the uncertainty of bringing in my own materials, and no access to anything useful, like campus, computers, or copiers (except the staff and fellow faculty members), and a part-time night job, how could I have made the impossible possible?  I'm new to being given the wheel to take a class and drive.  Whew!  I was overwhelmed, but I knew I could just do the best I could with what I got.

I officially applied for the position Friday.  I got an interview for the following Tuesday, which happened to be the second day of school!  I was "hired" by recommendation via the principal and staff. ;)  Once I got the paperwork completed, I got started as official lead teacher Thursday. 



It's all been an experience.  I love my students, and I cannot wait to help them learn and advance in their studies.  I'm also excited to teach at last

This week has presented many challenges.  Let me count thy ways.
  1. Not knowing if I'd be the regular teacher or temporary (it makes a difference)
  2. Being hired last minute with no preparation
  3. Having a part-time night job
  4. Getting less than five hours sleep each night
  5. Anticipating college courses to start THIS Monday
  6. Still having no time to be work on my classroom environment or plans due to the tug-o-war for my time in meetings, completing paperwork, actually teaching my class
  7. being unorganized and unprepared 
Can anyone truly prepare for their first day and week teaching? 

Oh
my
gosh

Well, on top of that, I have not had a solid, reliable contact with my university.  I am disappointed that they couldn't accommodate my needs, as I've been well-prepared for beginning university again.  Needless to say, I have yet to begin "New Student Orientation" for my classes on Monday.  :(  I don't know what to do. 

On a positive note, my lovely husband has been patient and supportive of me as I survived this week.  I don't know what I would have done without him. 

<3 Teacher Not-So-Gone

P.S.  Florida's Teacher Appraisal System might be the death of me. X(

No comments:

Post a Comment